Animals love Reiki too. They seem to have a natural understanding of what Reiki is and its benefits. Animals do not have the intellectual and emotional blocks that people often have. They are like sponges that absorb Reiki very quickly. Reiki is a wonderful loving gift that can be shared with all of our animal friends.
Reiki is ideal for use with animals because
- it is gentle and noninvasive
- it doesn't cause stress, discomfort, or pain, and yet yields powerful results.
- animals respond intuitively to Reiki's power to heal emotional, behavioral, and physical illnesses and injuries.
- for animals that are healthy, Reiki helps to maintain their health, enhances relaxation and provides an emotional sense of peace and contentment.
- for animals that are ill, Reiki is a wonderful healing method as well as a safe complement to Western Medicine and all other forms of healing.
- for dying animals, Reiki is a powerful yet gentle way to provide comfort, relief from pain, fear, and anxiety, and to ease the transition to death for the animal and his person.
Animal Reiki Session
It is best to do Reiki where the animal is most comfortable. This is usually in the animal’s home. Animals feel energy more strongly than humans therefore they usually prefer a hands-off treatment, especially in the beginning. So a treatment will usually be held with the practitioner sitting in the room with the animal but at a distance from the animal. The practitioner will offer the Reiki and it is up to the animal whether they want to receive the Reiki, how much Reiki they want to receive and for how long. The animal is always in charge of the session. Reiki can never be forced on an animal and can never do harm. It will not exhaust the animal, make him lethargic or sick. Although the length of sessions will vary depending on each animal, an average session is 30 – 45 minutes. The animal will tell the practitioner when they are finished by moving away, becoming active or leaving the room.
How Can Reiki Help My Animal?
Your pet can receive support on a variety of issues such as:
- Accelerated healing from injury/illness
- Aging issues
- Enhanced immune system
- Clear trauma or emotional or behavioral issues.
- Surgical support
- End of life issues
Animal Reiki Practitioner Code of Ethics
Developed by Kathleen Prasad, Founder of Animal Reiki Source
(Below are highlights)
- I believe the animals are equal partners in the healing process.
- I honor the animals as being not only my clients, but also my teachers in the journey of healing.
- I understand that all animals have physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects, to which Reiki can bring profound healing responses.
In working on myself, I follow these practices:
- I incorporate the Five Reiki Precepts into my daily life and Reiki practice.
- I commit myself to a daily practice of self-healing and spiritual development so that I can be a clear and strong channel for healing energy.
In working in the community, I hold the following goals:
- I model the values of partnership, compassion, humility, gentleness and gratitude in my life and with the animals, teaching by example.
- I continually educate myself
In working with the human companions of the animals, I will:
- Share information before the treatment about my healing philosophy, the Reiki healing system and what to expect in a typical treatment, as well as possible outcomes, including the possibility of healing reactions.
- Never diagnose. I will always refer clients to a licensed veterinarian when appropriate.
In working with the animals, I follow these guidelines:
- I work in partnership with the animal.
- I always ask permission of the animal before beginning, and respect his or her decision to accept or refuse any treatment.
- I accept the results of the treatment without judgment and with gratitude toward Reiki and the animal's openness and participation in the process.
Copyright © 2007, Animal Reiki Source
Contact me for more info or to schedule a session for your dog